Friday, April 08, 2005

Characterizations of God, No. 1 in a series

Psalm 66:5
Come and see the works of God: he is terrible in his doing toward the children of men.

Revelation 21:4a
And he shall wipe away all tears from their eyes.

Psalm 139:6
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

Characterizations of God in the Psalms, I

Psalm 18:25-27
[25] With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful; with an upright man thou wilt shew thyself upright;
[26] With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt shew thyself froward.
[27] For thou wilt save the afflicted people; but wilt bring down high looks.

Psalm 17:7
Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them.

* * *

Psalm 24:8-10
Who is this King of glory? The LORD strong and mighty, the LORD mighty in battle.
[9] Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
[10] Who is this King of glory? The LORD of hosts, he is the King of glory. Selah.

Psalm 8:1, 3-4
O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.
...[3] When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
[4] What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Psalm 19:1-6
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
[2] Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.
[3] There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.
[4] Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,
[5] Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.
[6] His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.

Psalm 139:7-12
Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
[8] If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
[9] If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
[10] Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
[11] If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
[12] Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

* * *

Psalm 18:1-2, 6-16
I will love thee, O LORD, my strength.
[2] The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
...[6] In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears.
[7] Then the earth shook and trembled; the foundations also of the hills moved and were shaken, because he was wroth.
[8] There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of his mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it.
[9] He bowed the heavens also, and came down: and darkness was under his feet.
[10] And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly: yea, he did fly upon the wings of the wind.
[11] He made darkness his secret place; his pavilion round about him were dark waters and thick clouds of the skies.
[12] At the brightness that was before him his thick clouds passed, hail stones and coals of fire.
[13] The LORD also thundered in the heavens, and the Highest gave his voice; hail stones and coals of fire.
[14] Yea, he sent out his arrows, and scattered them; and he shot out lightnings, and discomfited them.
[15] Then the channels of waters were seen, and the foundations of the world were discovered at thy rebuke, O LORD, at the blast of the breath of thy nostrils.
[16] He sent from above, he took me, he drew me out of many waters.

* * *

Psalm 9:16
The LORD is known by the judgment which he executeth: the wicked is snared in the work of his own hands. Higgaion. Selah.
[Evidently directions for musical performance: "Higgaión," from hâgâh, "to murmur," a "murmuring" or solemn sound; "Selah," from sâlâh, "to suspend," used seventy times in the Psalms, a pause.]

Psalm 11:7
For the righteous LORD loveth righteousness; his countenance doth behold the upright.

Psalm 9:8-10
And he shall judge the world in righteousness, he shall minister judgment to the people in uprightness.
[9] The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.
[10] And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.

Psalm 5:4
For thou art not a God that hath pleasure in wickedness: neither shall evil dwell with thee.

Psalm 7:8-11
The LORD shall judge the people: judge me, O LORD, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity that is in me.
[9] Oh let the wickedness of the wicked come to an end; but establish the just: for the righteous God trieth the hearts and reins.
[10] My defence is of God, which saveth the upright in heart.
[11] God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day.

* * *

Psalm 139:17-18
How precious also are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!
[18] If I should count them, they are more in number than the sand: when I awake, I am still with thee.

Psalm 12:6
The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.

* * *

Psalm 23
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
[2] He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
[3] He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
[4] Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
[5] Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
[6] Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

E-mail j0hnedminster@yahoo.com to request this as a MS Word document.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
- 2 Timothy 3:16-17

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home